Read the latest news from Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine’s Department of Surgery, Division of Transplant Surgery. The links below take you to articles where you can learn more about our faculty’s latest achievements, awards, and honors.
- Dr. Jason Wertheim, surgeon and biomedical engineer at the Jesse Brown VA Medical Center is part of a project called (Re)Building a Kidney (RBK), a consortium led by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) at the National Institutes of Health. The consortium, which includes about 25 biologists and engineers from around the country, is trying to develop tools that will facilitate development of an artificial kidney in the future. To read more please click here.
- Dr. Abecassis discusses increase in organ transplants due to recent change in donation age and living donor programs on FOX 32 Morning News. Click here to watch interview.
- Dr. Leventhal was recently featured in a news story regarding Illinois' plans to lower age requirement to be organ donor so that more lives can be saved. Please click here to watch the story.
- Congratulations to Drs. Leventhal and Mathew who were awarded a $300,000 Falk Catalyst Award for their project "Clinical Transplant Tolerance Induction by the Use of Ex Vivo Expanded Antigen Specific Regulatory T Cells" . The Catalyst Awards provide an opportunity to conduct preliminary work on high-risk, high-reward research addressing a wide variety of clinical disease areas.
- Dr. Jason Wertheim’s application for a VA Merit Review Award, Extracellular Matrix Induction of Renal Stem and Progenitor Cell Development, was selected for funding by the Jesse Brown VA Medical Center.