- Excellence in Teaching Award09.26.2017 - Vascular SurgeryThe division is proud to announce Dr. Karen Ho as the 2016-2017 recipient of the, "Excellence in Teaching Award" for the third consecutive year. Teaching awards are assigned by the Department of Surgery and speak to the faculty's dedication to the vascular surgery program and to the program's academic mission. To learn more about Dr. Ho, please view her faculty profile.
- Dr. Abecassis receives NIDDK T32 award08.30.2017 - Organ TransplantationCongratulations to Dr. Michael Abecassis and the Transplant Surgery Division who received an NIH T32 award from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases for the renewal of the Transplant Surgery Scientist Training Program. To read more about the T32 TSSTP please click here.
- Dr. Stulberg & Dr. Johnson receive NIH R3408.23.2017
Congratulations to Dr. Jonah Stulberg and Dr. Julie Johnson who received an NIH R34 award from the National Institute on Drug Abuse for their project entitled, “System-Level Implementation to Reduce Excess Opioid Prescribing in Surgery” for a total of $711,000 for three years.
- Rodriguez Distinguished Fellow Award08.10.2017 - Vascular Surgery
Dr. Heron Rodriguez is the recipient of the Distinguished Fellow Award from the Society of Vascular Surgery. The award recognizes continual contributions in research, education, and service. Click to learn more about Dr. Rodriguez.
- Dr. Kulkarni receives NCI R01 award07.21.2017 - Research
Congratulations to Dr. Swati Kulkarni who received a NIH R01 award from the National Cancer Institute for her project entitled, “Evaluating the protective effect of a tissue selective estrogen complex (TSEC) in women with newly diagnosed ductal carcinoma in situ” for a total of $3,158,830 for five years.
- Jimmy Su and Dr. Wertheim receive NIDDKD F31 award07.13.2017 - Research
Congratulations to Jimmy Su, BS and his mentor, Dr. Jason Wertheim, who received an NIH F31 award from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases for their project entitled, “Microenvironmental Signaling Cues to Model Glomerular Endothelial Cell and Podocyte Interactions” for a total of $112,983 for 3 years.
- Fellow's as Teacher Award07.11.2017 - Vascular Surgery
We are proud to annouce Dr. Ashish Jain and Dr. Micah Girotti as the receipents of the 2017 Edleston Bendix Department of Surgery award, "Fellows as Teachers Award." Awards are based on teaching evaluation scores from their peers and junior residents. Dr. Jain, and Dr. Girotti are fellows of the division of Vascular Surgery at the McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine.
- Meet Our New Vascular Resident and Fellow07.11.2017 - Vascular Surgery
The division welcomes Dr. Andres Guerra, MD and Dr. Gabe Wallace to the division of Vasular Surgery. Dr. Guerra is our new intern within the Integrated Vascular Surgery Program (0+5). He is a recent graduate of University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, where Andres earned his M.D.
Dr. Wallace is joining the Vascular Surgery Fellowship Program (5+2) after completing his general surgery residency at the University of Washington. Our new trainees come to us after Dr. Courtney Morgan (0+5) and Dr. Micah Girotti (5+2) have successfully completed their training.
- Dr. Abecassis receives NIDDKD T32 award07.11.2017 - Research
Congratulations to Dr. Michael Abecassis and the Transplant Surgery Department who received an NIH T32 award from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases for their project entitled, “Transplant Surgery Scientist Training Program” for a total of $1,219,210 for five years.
- 2016-2017 Department of Surgery Resident as Teacher and Fellow as Teacher Awards07.10.2017 - Department
Fellow as Teacher and Resident as Teacher awards are bestowed on those Department of Surgery trainees who are regarded as excellent role models, clinicians, and learners to their peers, students, and other health professionals. They are noted to make teaching a purposeful activity in their daily efforts and reliably participate in Department of Surgery education-related activities and reporting systems. We thank them for their dedication to teaching and learning.
Resident as Teacher: Brian Brajcich (General Surgery), Ben Deschner (General Surgery), Brett Duncan (General Surgery), Michael Gart (Plastic Surgery), Sumanas Jordan (Plastic Surgery), Azad Karim (Thoracic Surgery), Erberto Michel (Thoracic Surgery), William Phillips (General Surgery), Chad Purnell (Plastic Surgery), Ravi Rajaram (General Surgery), and Tarik Yuce (General Surgery).
Fellow as Teacher: Jonathan Bean (Surgical Critical Care), Micah Girotti (Vascular), and Ashish Jain (Vascular).
- Matches Made in Heaven: 8 patients involved in kidney swap meet07.10.2017 - Organ TransplantationNBC Nightly News covers the story of 8 patients meeting their kidney donors for the first time post-surgery
- Pen pals of 47 years share incredible bond, bolstered by kidney donation05.31.2017 - Organ TransplantationPen pals of 47 years share incredible bond, bolstered by kidney donation. Click here for full story.
- 2017 Edelstone-Bendix Award Winners05.23.201705.23.2017 - Research
On behalf of the 2017 Edelstone-Bendix Awards Selection Committee, we are pleased to announce that the following abstracts have been selected as the winners to the open competitions.
A validated model for prediction of upgrade to invasive breast cancer following core biopsy diagnosis of DCIS
Elizabeth DesJardin, M.D.
Fellow, Breast Surgery
Resident Clinical Research Competition
Impact of cytomegalovirus transmission on lung allograft survival in the United States
Ramiro Fernandez, M.D.
Resident, General Surgery
Resident Basic Science Research Competition
Donor pulmonary intravascular nonclassical monocytes mediate primary lung allograft dysfunction by recruiting recipient neutrophils in a CXCL2-dependent manner
Stephen Chiu, M.D.
Resident, General Surgery
- Congratulations Dr. Wertheim05.16.2017 - Organ TransplantationCongratulations Jason Wertheim, MD, PhD on the 2017 AST Basic Science Career Development Award!
- Dr. Katherine Hekman receives NHLBI F3205.02.2017 - Research
Congratulations to Dr. Katie Hekman, and mentors Dr. Jason Wertheim and Dr. Guillermo Ameer who received an NIH F32 award from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute entitled, “Modulating senescence in induced pluripotent stem cell-derived endothelial cells for vascular disease modeling and therapy”.
- VA surgeon researching cell-based tools to create artificial kidney03.24.2017 - Organ TransplantationDr. Jason Wertheim, surgeon and biomedical engineer at the Jesse Brown VA Medical Center is part of a project called (Re)Building a Kidney (RBK), a consortium led by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) at the National Institutes of Health. The consortium, which includes about 25 biologists and engineers from around the country, is trying to develop tools that will facilitate development of an artificial kidney in the future. To read more please click here.
- Community Outreach and Awareness: Mended Hearts03.15.2017 - Vascular SurgeryCourtney Morgan, M.D., Chief Resident of Northwestern's Integrated Vascular Program, counseled members of Mended Hearts of Chicago with a talk entitled, "Peripheral Vascular Disease: What's New?" Mended Hearts is a national nonprofit organization serving the community through education on cardiovascular health. Visit the Mended Hearts webpage for more information and upcoming meetings.
- Dr. Abecassis discusses increase in organ transplants02.27.2017 - Organ TransplantationDr. Abecassis discusses increase in organ transplants due to recent change in donation age and living donor programs on FOX 32 Morning News. Click here to watch interview.
- Illinois plans to lower age requirement to be organ donor02.03.2017 - Organ TransplantationDr. Leventhal was recently featured in a news story regarding Illinois' plans to lower age requirement to be organ donor so that more lives can be saved. Please click here to watch the story.
- Congratulations Drs. Leventhal & Mathew02.01.2017 - Organ TransplantationCongratulations to Drs. Leventhal and Mathew who were awarded a $300,000 Falk Catalyst Award for their project "Clinical Transplant Tolerance Induction by the Use of Ex Vivo Expanded Antigen Specific Regulatory T Cells" . The Catalyst Awards provide an opportunity to conduct preliminary work on high-risk, high-reward research addressing a wide variety of clinical disease areas.
- Department of Surgery rises in NIH rankings to #9 in 201601.25.2017 - Research
Department of Surgery rises in NIH rankings to #9 in 2016.
The Department of Surgery at Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine rose to 9th place among U.S. departments of surgery in funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in 2016. Award figures are obtained by Blue Ridge from the Research Portfolio Online Reporting Tools (RePORT) at the NIH. The report’s calculations include direct and indirect costs, but do not include contracts or other specialized mechanisms.
- 5th Annual John J. Bergan, M.D. Lecture03.02.2017 - Vascular SurgeryLazar J. Greenfield, M.D., Professor of Surgery and Chair Emeritus at the University of Michigan will be presenting, "The Filter at 45: Lessons Learned," on March 2, 2017. The lecture will be held in Northwestern's Prtizker Auditorium (251 E. Huron, 3-506, Chicago, IL) at 7:00 am with a morning reception to follow. This is part of the Department of Surgery Grand Rounds Series. Click here to access more information.
- Dr. Wertheim receives funding award11.30.2016 - Organ TransplantationDr. Jason Wertheim’s application for a VA Merit Review Award, Extracellular Matrix Induction of Renal Stem and Progenitor Cell Development, was selected for funding by the Jesse Brown VA Medical Center.
- Congratulations to Drs. Juan Carlos Caicedo and Elisa Gordon11.29.2016 - Organ TransplantationCongratulations to Drs. Juan Carlos Caicedo and Elisa Gordon on receiving the 31st Annual Gift of Life Award by the National Kidney Foundation for Informate.org. Their contributions to the this culturally sensitive website which educates thousands of people in the Latino community on the benefits and risks of living donation was recognized at the Gift of Life Gala on November 12.
- Congratulations Mamta Swaroop, MD11.22.2016 - Trauma and Critical CareCongratulations to Mamta Swaroop, MD, FACS who has recently been promoted to Associate Professor of Surgery in the Division of Trauma and Critical Care Surgery.
- Excellence in Teaching Award10.13.2016 - Vascular SurgeryDr. Mark Eskandari and Dr. Karen Ho have received the 2015-2016, "Excellence in Teaching," Award. The award recognizes faculty members who excel at supporting resident and medical student learning. This is the 2nd annual award for Dr. Ho, and the 5th annual award for Dr. Eskandari. Join our division in giving them a big round of applause!
- Dr. Shari L. Meyerson Receives Excellence in Teaching Award - Hall of Fame10.12.2016 - Thoracic SurgeryThe Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine recognizes outstanding faculty educators annually with Teaching Awards. Dr. Shari L. Meyerson has again won the Excellence in Teaching Award for the Department of Surgery. Congratulations!
- Congratulations Teaching Award Recipients10.12.2016 - Organ TransplantationThe Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine recognizes outstanding faculty educators annually with Teaching Awards. Recipients from the Comprehensive Transplant Center this year include Drs. Jonathan Fryer, Felicitas Koller and Bing Ho. Congratulations!
- Heron Rodriguez Named to Who's Who in Hispanic Chicago10.06.2016 - Vascular Surgery
Heron Rodriguez, M.D., was named to Negocios Now, "Who's Who in Hispanic Chicago." Dr. Rodriguez is a recognized professor, researcher, published author, and international speaker. Dr. Rodriguez serves as the program director for Northwestern University's Vascular Surgery Integrated Residency Program, Associate Program Director for the Vascular Surgery Fellowship Program, and is co-director of the limb preservation program at Northwestern's Vein Clinic. Dr. Rodriguez's clinical interests include arterial and venous surgery and percutaneous interventions. To learn more about Dr. Rodriguez, Please visit his faculty page.
- Karl A. Illig, M.D., Visiting Professor for Vascular Conference10.07.2016 - Vascular SurgeryDr. Karl A. Illig, M.D. will speak at Northwestern University's weekly Vascular Conference on November 2, 2016 from 5:00 - 6:00pm. Dr. Illig will present, Aggressive management of venous thoracic outlet syndrome in athletes (and others). The event will be held in the Department of Surgery Videoconference Room at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Arkes Pavilion, 6th Floor.